Thursday, September 18, 2014

Sponsor Spotlight No.2 - Tando Creative

Servus! Claudia here bringing to you another spotlight inspiration showcasing another of the products of this month's challenge sponsor


http://tando-creative.blogspot.co.at/


If you haven't already seen Julia's fantastic project, I highly recommend you scroll down (or simply click the link) to find out what she made of Tando's advent calender (who would have guessed it was so versatile?).

I chose Tando Creative's  "3 Clocks in 1" for my spotlight creation:


and altered a 3 Euro clock from one of those 1 Euro shops to make it look like this:




I had a massive play with a lot of the new DecoArt media stuff (you'll find a list of all the materials I used at the bottom of this post) and accidentally "invented" a cool technique to create a kind of "splintered enamel" effect.


But lets start with how my clock looked "before":


it looked quite "nice", but was too small, so I was very happy to find that the largest of Tando's "3 Clocks in 1" fit perfectly as a kind of outer frame. I only had to build some framework to attach the clock face. So I used some small pieces of wood (left from a very small canvas) and glued six of these to the back of my small clock - using DecoArt matte Decou-Page.

Then I covered my clock and the Tando piece with a layer of DecoArt's black Gesso from the new media line (don't worry if there are any brushstrokes visible - these will be covered later). 




Once this had dried, I gave it all a coat of DecoArt media "Matte Medium" to seal my surface for further treatment. 



The Matte Medium spreads really easily and goes a long way! It is also fast drying, so I didn't have to wait or speed up the process with the heat tool (which I wouldn't recommend anyway as this can cause nasty bubbles when acrylic colours or medium are getting too hot). 

I prepared some colour washes for the next step, using DecoArt media fluid acrylics Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Raw Umber, Titan Buff and Quinacridone Violett.



 Then I got out the new DecoArt media white Crackle Paint and started painting only a small area of my clock at one time - as the crackle paint dries rather quickly, painting the whole clock would leave you with dried paint - which will prevent my technique from working! 


So here's what you have to do: 

- paint a rather small area with white crackle paint
- take a fine tip brush and load it with your washes (one at a time) and sprinkle these onto the still wet crackle paint
- vary the size of the sprinkles to get large puddles of wet paint as well as smaller stains that will dry quicker
- leave the large puddles of watery paint as they are and repeat all the steps until you have covered the whole clock


Allow your sprinkled on colours to mix and create random colour effects. Don't dab any of the large puddles dry until the crackle paint has done its magic!!!!! 

Once the crackle paint has dried completely, take a piece of kitchen roll and dab off the wet paint from the larger stains - this will remove the  diluted acrylic colours AND the crackle paint and reveal the black colour from underneath! 




This way you get the look of a splintered enamel surface:




You can also see how the black Gesso underneath the white crackle paint makes the cracks more visible! 

Next apply some DecoArt Traditions "Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide" and "Carbon Black" onto a palette and dab the colours onto your clock's edges using your fingertip:






This will create an uneven edge that looks a bit like splintered enamel too. 



I did this with both - my clock and the Tando Clock frame - first applying the lighter colour and then the darker - trying not to work too evenly. 

After all had dried I fixed the clock frame to the clock face with some more Decou-Page (using cloths pins to keep everything in place until dry):



Done! 



I hope you like my "splintered enamel" technique!!!

I add some more close ups so you can see the variety of effects I got on the crackle paint:












Materials used:

- Tando Creative "3 Clocks in 1"
- a cheap wall clock from the Euro/Dollar/Pound Shop
- six pieces of wood (left overs)
- DecoArt media fluid acrylics:  Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Raw Umber, Titan Buff and Quinacridone Violett
- DecoArt media black Gesso
- DecoArt media white Crackle Paint
- DecoArt matte Decou-Page
- DecoArt media Matte Medium
- DecoArt Traditions: Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Carbon Black
- brushes, palette, kitchen roll, water


***

As it is only a few days past mid-month, I would like to remind you of my actual "Autumnal Image Inspiration" challenge over here at Our Creative Corner, which is still open until the 28th of the month! I would be sooo happy to see you join in!!! 

Hugs and happy crafting,

Claudia xxx



13 comments:

  1. Fantastic.Love your technique and the clock looks wonderful!I wish we could get decoart products in my neck of woods.They all look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you did with the clock! Wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful technique....you just changed the face of the clock! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I'm in crackle heaven with this stunning clock Claudia. Love your take on the technique too so will have to try it with the crackle paint. The black gesso underneath gives a stunning effect with your crackle and soft colours. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!
    Thanks for mentioning my house project too mwah!
    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, great crackle technique!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful clock, love seeing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO Claudia, you did it again...totally stunning makeover! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you kidding!! Fabulous!!! So glad you have shared your technique- this is fab and I think I should like to do one for my studio!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow!
    Thank you for making this, and sharing it, writing the blogpost, the step by step guide and named the materials and also said what not to do!
    One of our glass clocks fell down a while ago. The glass broke ofcourse but the mechanics are still fine, so I wanted to make my own clockface, a steampunk style one. I only got as far as cutting out a circle (and then deciding it was too small / not firm enough). I'm not sure I still want to go steampunk now! The supplies I have are similar, though different brands or different colours. Hmm it probably doesn't get the same effect with white gesso and copper crackle paint. Well, at least it sounds like a fun technique to try out, not just on clocks!
    Debbie / Daqa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic texture and decay as always - an amazing transformation, and a great tutorial taking us through those fab new DecoArt products!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hach Claudia... Du übertriffst Dich mal wieder selbst! Soo früh am Morgen sitze ich im Bett mit meinem Käffchen und möchte den Tag langsam beginnen... Aber die Bilder, die Du hier zeigst, machen mir den Mund wässrig und ich werde wohl noch im Nachthemd an den Basteltisch huschen. Die Verbindung der Kunst von Farbe und Textur mit einem "brauchbaren" Möbelstück wie einer Uhr ist besonders anregend. Schade, dass ich nicht über all diese tollen Materialien verfüge... Wobei ich sie dennoch sicher nicht so beherrschen würde wie Du! ( Hast Du schon einmal darüber nachgedacht, Online-Workshops zu geben?) auch das Bild Deines Arbeitsbereiches auf Deinem Blog lässt mich nicht los... Diese vielen wunderbaren Farben, Stempel usw... Ich werde den Weihnachtsmann gaaanz lieb bitten, mir neues Bastelmaterial zu schenken... (Aber das gehört jetzt wohl nicht hierher...)
    Auf jeden Fall, liebe Claudia, vielen Dank für soooo viel Inspiration!
    Ich drück Dich! Hab einen angenehmen, vielleicht sogar kreativen, sonnigen Herbsttag!
    Manu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! Fabulous project, I LOVE your clock Claudia!!! Wonderful idea to combine a cheap clock to Tando's ones, and your final piece is stunning and truly magical!! Thank you for the great step-by-step! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous clock and a great technique that I'll have to try.

    Thanks for sharing step-out photos.

    Pinned!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx