Sunday, October 11, 2015

Spooky Skull Tag


Hi everyone! Laura here with our Guest designer for October...I have been so looking forward to this!!!

    I LOVE this designer! She is someone who has inspired me since I first arrived in crafty blog land and I love her work. She is such a creative artist and her work is so wonderfully inspring - she does the most brilliant, informative step-by-step posts - with amazing detailed photos of her work (as you can see from today's post!) - so you really can never leave her posts without feeling so sparked with ideas galore!

    I have the wonderful pleasure of introducing the amazingly creative Anna-Karin from Layers of ink 

Over to you Anna-Karin.....


******************************* 


I everyone! I am so happy to be a guest designer at Our Creative Corner. Halloween crafting is so much fun and today it is time for a spooky project.


I thought Tim Holtz new Skull die would work well for a spooky project, especially with some added dimension and distress. There are a few spiders hiding on the skull too. The inky background is fun to do, and can easily be adapted to other types of projects if you use different inks, papers and stencils. I took a few step photos.


Start by die cutting the skull from Wendy Vecchi's Clearly For Art Modeling Film. 


Colour the skull at the back using alcohol ink and an ink blending tool with a felt square. Start with Snow Cap Mixative - always shake the bottle first - and continue with Pitch Black.


Stamp the skull on the front with various stamps and Stazon Jet Black. This both adds texture and makes it spookier. 


Heat the Modeling Film with a heat gun and shape the skull. Be careful not to burn yourself. You might need to work one section at a time, because the film cools down quickly. Once it is cool, it keeps its shape perfectly. If you are not happy with the result, simply heat again and reshape. 



The tag was covered with Regions Beyond patterned paper and sanded. Place the Shatter stencil on top and ink with Wilted Violet and Hickory Smoke.


I added some Regions Beyond Decorative tape to the background. Place the Batground stencil over the background and apply Transparent Gloss Texture Paste through the stencil with a palette knife. Pour Black Soot Distress Glitter on top. Set aside to dry. I attached an Oddities Adornments token with a brad.


I also added a spider from the Wicked Alpha Parts set to the skull. Attach the skull to the tag with tiny staples.


The dimension, alcohol ink and stamping makes the skull pretty spooky.

Staple a Word Band to the bottom of the tag and you are done.

Here you can see the dimension of the Modeling Film a little better.

I hope you enjoyed this post! I had fun making a spooky project for this guest post for Our Creative Corner. You can always visit my blog Layers of ink, for more inspiration.

Thank you for looking!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Ranger Manila Tag; Tim Holtz idea-ology: Regions Beyond Paper Stash; Wendy Vecchi Stamper's Anonymous Clearly For Art Modeling Film
Dies: Sizzix: Skull
Stamps: Tim Holtz Stamper's Anonymous: Undertaker, Apothecary, Mini Halloween
Ink: Ranger Distress Ink: Wilted Violet, Hickory Smoke; Tsukineko Stazon: Jet Black
Alcohol ink: Ranger Adirondack: Pitch Black, Snow Cap Mixative
Medium: Ranger: Transparent Gloss Texture Paste
Glitter: Ranger Distress Glitter: Black Soot
Stencil: Tim Holtz: Background, Shatter
Embellishments: Tim Holtz: Regions Beyond Decorative Tape, Wicked Alpha Parts, Observations Word Bands, Oddities Adornments

******************************************

WOW!!!! Anna-Karin...words truly fail me....Thank you so much for joining us here today - You have done exactly what I knew you would - knock our socks off!
This post is as brilliant as always....I am so grateful to you for bringing your unique creativity to Our Creative Corner this month...


Remember the challenge continues until 28th October...Get those scary creations posted to be in with a chance to be a winner!




11 comments:

  1. Fabulous tag , love the clearly for art. It has a real eerie effect. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creepy I love it!!!! I have to try and find some of this Clearly for Art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning tag! The layers are wonderful and now I know what I should be doing with my clearly for art sheets! Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skull is amazing! Fantastic tag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab tag, Anna-Karin! So nice to have you here at OCC as our October Guest Designer! Love those sparkly bats!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing amount of detail! Love the 3D skull and sparkly bats. Great to have you as our GD. Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone!! I am so happy to have been guest designer here and I had fun making that tag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm late commenting, but so love Anna-Karin too... Wonderful to see her as guest DT on Our Creative Corner !!!
    What a fabulous tag, really spooky and featuring perfectly some new products hahaha :) Well done to you Anna-Karin, and thank you for this great tutorial!
    By the way I'm very sorry to not have found time to read many of the last posts here... I love OCC blog though, there are so many talents gathered here and kindness. Coco xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx