Monday, August 25, 2014

Sponsor Spotlight No.3 - Crafty Individuals

Servus and welcome to Our Creative Corner, dear crafting friends, true followers and visitors old and anew!


Claudia here to invite you to our third Sponsor Spotlight for August! Today it is my turn and huge pleasure to introduce to you a lovely stamp set by this month's prize sponsor

http://www.craftyindividuals.co.uk/



I immediately fell in love with their gorgeous stamp set CI-207 "Ferns and Grasses":




and created this wall hanging for your inspiration:




First I started with stamping the single ferns and grasses with black archival stamping ink onto heavy white printer paper. I left enough space so each would fit with a separate rectangle (which I drew with a pencil and ruler).




Then I cut them all out. I didn't see to same sizes, so you don't have to measure exactly. It's the right angles for the panels we are looking for.




Next I applied three puddles of various Distress stains (Tea Dye, Weathered Wood and Tumbled Glass) on my non stick craft sheet.


Then I took the first of my stamped grass/fern panels and sprayed it with water from the bottle. Once my panel was slightly wet I randomly swiped its edges through the puddles...





...to create something like this:




I did so with all my cut out panels and set them aside to dry. Once they were dry they looked like this:




I love how the watercolour effect creates this "glow" in the centers of the panels!



Then I blended the edges of my panels with DI "Gathered Twigs" (using the ink blending tool).



After that I sprinkled on various colours from my colour spray collection to achieve a weathered and aged look:




For my background I used a square sheet of brown craft paper which I misted with water from the spray bottle and crumpled into a ball to create a highly textural surface to put my panels on.




Once this paper had dried I sprinkled on some paints too and made the creases more visible by applying DI "Gathered Twigs" to them.




I cut another square of the same size from some thick corrugated card (from left over packaging material) to mount my background to (using DecoArt matte Decou-Page).

Then I arranged my stamped grasses and ferns on the panel and glued them in place too. I also added some brads (from Red Lead) for more detail.




I still had one of those fab wood cut beetles (from Um Wow Studio), which I coloured with Distress paints (Wild Honey, Antiqued Bronze) and let dry.




Once it had dried I used my fingertips to apply some DecoArt Traditions "Raw Umber" to the edges and wipe it around. Before that colour dried completely I took some of it off with a soft cloth.




The beetle was glued in place with matte Decou-Page. As I had green and blue colour tones with my grass and fern panels I went for a contrasting colour with the beetle. This makes the greens and blues pop even more. 

The quote (from Hal Borland) was printed out on my computer, the words were cut out and the edges blended with DI "Gathered Twigs" before I glued them in place too.

It says "Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence."




For a finish I added a piece of lace ribbon to the bottom of the wall hanging and a string of rough cord on top.






I hope you like my wall hanging! I leave you with some more close-ups and I also want to remind you of our actual challenge "Summertime", which is still open until 11:55 pm on August 28th!









Hugs and happy crafting, 

Claudia xxx

17 comments:

  1. Fabulous make Claudia and I love the layout and texture on the background. Great words too.

    TFS and crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Claudia, and such great use of those lovely stamps! Love the adition of the crab at the bottom too, a really great hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I meant beetle, lol, what would a crab do among grasses duh....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Claudia, the crinkled craft paper is a perfect backdrop.....perfect wall hanging, another thing on my list! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow and double,this is absolutely stunning Claudia,so much to look at and admire,you have created this beautifully,thanks for sharing

    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful nature look, with a fabulous beetle, gorgeous distress and colours effects. Thanks so much for your detailed description! Hugs, Kerstin x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wieder ein genialer Streich liebe Claudia! Die Stempel sind klasse und der Käfer dazu ist so perfekt.
    Ich bin immer wieder begeistert von deinem Ideenreichtum. Super!
    Liebe Grüße
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely Claudia, and a great step by step too.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a Beautiful hanging, Claudia! That beetle FREAKS me out!! AHHH! LOL ;) But it's the perfect touch for the fauna that's on exhibit! So pretty and I love the paint and ink splatters :) XOXO-Shari T.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Claudia, this is fabulous nature inspired hanging! Thank you for sharing the process...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful Claudia and I LOVE that beetle too. I'm not normally keen on creepy crawlies but that one is gorgeous! Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claudia, tried all different ways to email you and connect with you, personally... but I just wanted to say that your comment which I read also to my hubby brought tears of happiness to my heart... I shook when I read it... it was so very beautiful... THANK YOU for your SINCERE love... I totally appreciate that with all my love and heart... my email is bonniemclain626@gmail.com would love to say more... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for being a little late, Bonnie. Just found this wonderful comment of yours. Sent you an email ;)

      Hugs,
      Claudia x

      Delete
    2. Thank you to all of you who left such wonderful comments for me here! They are highly appreciated and warm my heart!

      Wishes,
      Claudia x

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx