Saturday, February 1, 2014

A three colour challenge (without the use of black!)

Welcome to this month's Our Creative Corner challenge.

This time the challenge is to use only shades of BLUE, BROWN and PURPLE/PLUM - NO BLACK &WHITE IMAGES or BLACK LINES even on your stamped or digital images!!!

You can definitely use stamped or digital images if you want to, but you must change the colour of the image or lines in your image to a shade of brown, blue or purple. White is acceptable as a base, for example a white card blank, but shouldn't be a main colour. Anyone submitting projects containing anything other than blues, browns and purples/plums will immediately be disqualified to make it fair to the other entrants.

This month we are delighted to confirm that one randomly drawn winner will receive a prize from our generous sponsor Nicecrane Designs.


Colour is an important part of the creative process for me. I will often start by choosing the colour palette for a project before finalising the design, and as time has gone on I've learned to try to limit the colours to a maximum of three. This works for me and I'm excited to see if it is equally successful for you.

A useful tip for those who have never changed the colour of the lines on their digital images; this is easy if you use one of those image or photo manipulation programs available for free on the internet. They will contain transformation tools that make everything sepia, for example. Go on, give it a go. We'd love to see your tags, ATC's, cards, canvases, journalling, 3D art, etc.

Let's get you started with some fabulous inspiration from the Design Team.




As well as sticking to the colour palette for this challenge, I wanted to show that it is possible to use digital images without having those harsh black lines. And just wait 'til you hear what I printed the main image onto!




Jenny's color challenge had me running scared for a bit. I struggled trying to come up with a design but once I relaxed, sat down and just played, it all came together. I ended up with a mixed media piece that I really like and I totally appreciate Jenny's nudge out of my comfort zone!




This challenge had me scratching my head for a while but then I got out my Kraft card, a stamp, some tea dyed backing paper, some dies and stencils along with some Archival ink and I had great fun in the end!



A great challenge from Jenny but I had to really think about this one! For some reason the colour combination made me think of a contemporary design with perhaps geometric shapes. I selected the paints I felt were a best match and started playing on card using some stencils and stamps. This didn't quite work for me so I tried the same colours on fabric (with an additional medium added so the item can be washed) and I ended up making this case for my glasses which I'm always losing! I love to sew and it was great fun to combine this with my other passions: paint, stencils and stamps.


I decided to make a tag in a bag for this challenge, one of my favourite types of projects. I also used some of my all time favourite techniques and products, Distress Stains and Inks. As to the colours? Well that was a real challenge! I love browns and blues, but purple??? But hey, there is nothing like a challenge right? And I have to say, I had great fun creating mine, despite the colour challenge!




I too found this a bit difficult - mainly because I very rarely use my purple inks and paints. So this challenge gave me the push I needed to use those gorgeous colours...and of course the choice of embellishments for Jenny's challenge was an obvious one!


 

As I only recently bought a recycle kraft paper sketch pad at the 1 Euro store, I decided to let the  beautiful natural brown of the paper be the main focus on my tags. As the brown of the paper changes the colours you stamp on, some of my "dusty concord", "gathered twigs" and "rich cocoa" stamped lines turned out really dark brown - purpl-ish...in fact a lot darker than I expected. Actually I love this as it looks a lot "richer" in tone than black lines could ever be.


So now it's over to you! Remember those rules - browns, blues and purples only and definitely NO BLACK. We have a prize and a Guest Designer spot up for grabs so there's every reason to join in the fun.

14 comments:

  1. amazing work by the DT will need to have a think about this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so impatient to see what my teamies would come up with for this challenge - and WOW! You did some amazing projects once again! Stunningly beautiful!!!
    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great DT samples - and a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic projects all round - wow!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will need to get the thinking cap on for this one. Great Inspirational samples.

    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a colour combination that would have come to mind but seeing it here it looks gorgeous. Super work ladies of the DT! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous samples for this original challenge!! :) Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great challenge Jenny and absolutely stunning creations by the DT too! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great challenge loving the projects done by DT
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Ladies - fabulous projects!
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn’t resist joining you...gorgeous DT samples! Hugs from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete
  12. This colour combination is one of my favourites - and I didn't even know until I saw the fabulous examples! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx